From:
Dr Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:54:41 +0000
Hi Ian,

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Ian Watson
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hi all
>
>>In the UK and in other countries where it is registered (over 40
>>countries) the Apistan label states that the withdrawal period is zero
>>and it can be used at any time of the year, even during a honeyflow.
>
>If you mean by the "withdrawal period" that the time the strips should be in
>the hive, our Apistan labels say 42 days.  Also, ours say that honey supers
>should be off when the strips are in.  Why the difference?

The treatment period with Apistan is correct as 42 days (for USA). The
Withdrawal Period is the time you have to wait after treatment before
harvesting the product (in this case honey). Different National
regulatory bodies will stipulate different label requirements but the
European Union has given a decision that no Withdrawal Period is
necessary as the risk of residues or tox is extremely low following
Apistan use in beehives.

I know the ruling in the States. Logically and based on all the evidence
we have from around the world, it should be possible to change the
labelling but that is for the EPA to decide. It's not a big issue as far
as practicallity goes; Apistan is more effective before or after the
main honeyflows - not because of the honey but because there is less
capped brood to harbour/protect mites during those periods.

It's just one of those National idiosynchracies in product labelling.

Max

--
Dr Max Watkins
Director, Vita (Europe) Limited