Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2016 01:08:58 +0000
America’s honeybees are dying off, and one reason why could be widespread federal policies meant to help the environment—that have backfired. Bees are the primary…

Interesting,  and roughly accurate  the ethanol subsidy was a disaster as mentioned,  but a LOT of garbage in the article also corn and beans have once again dropped as the mandate expired (and no  there are no new corn subsides)  Although some would argue that help with crop insurance is a subsidy,  there is actually no incentive to grow corn or beans,  and the current low prices ensure that the greatest care is taken. The VAST majority of changes in corn acres came at the expense of other crops,  cotton hit hardest,  more money in corn than cotton,  and beans were hit also.  Yes some CRP was not renewed when it came up, but when you do the real math,  it shows a tiny blip in the data.  Much of which is getting returned to CRP.
I have had many conversations and done a lot  research on this.  U of Iowa  shows that although the ethanol did cause a small spike in tilled acres,  the downward trend in tilled crop ground has continued steadily for the last 40 years,  from some 590 million acres in 1970  to the current 540 million acres.  I always wonder why those decrying the loss of habitat don't have the actual numbers??  With today's ability to research its literally a 20 min task to get the real facts.
USDA ERS - Major Land Uses

|   |    |

|   |
USDA ERS - Major Land Uses
   |   |

The real truth is this "loss of habitat " theory is a completely misleading red herring.  It sounds great,  and who wouldn't believe it? We all have seen the landscape change.  problem is,  its just not true.  modern farming has taken roughly 1 million acres a year out of production, and turned it to CRP, waterways, and shelter belts.
 The downside is the major reports are only published every 10 years,2017 is a new year for USDA statistics.  It will be very interesting to see the new numbers, but some conversations have led me to strongly believe the trends have not changed.  Better farming,  less acres.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/eib89/10649_eib89_reportsummary.pdf

this one shows a lower 408 million as cropland,  but as I recall it does not include orchards the last 2007 data used 540 million as the number for farmed for food.
Out of 2 Billion acres??  and farming is the problem???  I wonder at times......

It also mentions "lack of habitat" caused pollination prices in CA almonds to rise.  That  requires acrobatic thinking that would surprise a Shalin monk.   The rise in almonds is from the increase in almond demand, and the need for more and more hives.  That drives the price up to entice beeks from all over the country to travel to almonds,  and probably is the one  main reason there are still commercial operations left.

It is a great link though, as it show unintended consequences.,  One thing to keep in mind is if there is a neonics ban,  well will see another spike in tilled acres,  very similar to the one the ethanol mandate created