Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:44:17 -0400
Not sure what is happening to the person who asked the question. It could be
related to the following.

The ones who usually suffer are beekeepers families if they bring their
beekeeping stuff (suit especially) into the house . There is documentation
that members of the family can develop allergies, sometimes life
threatening, to bees and bee stings. I know a couple that this has happened
to. He is fine (the beekeeper) and now she can go into shock from a sting.
All because he changed in the house and she handled the suit when she washed
it.

I have a shed just for my beekeeping equipment and suit so change in the
shed and do all the washing (the suit all by itself) to keep my wife's
exposure to near zero.

But even beekeepers can develop bee allergies. My guess is because of
reduced exposure rather than the normal exposure we get over the year. But I
am no allergist so may be completely wrong. Just seems to work with me. I
practice apitherapy for my arthiritis, so get stung 8-10 times on purpose
every two months in season, which does not include the normal number of
stings during inspections. Plus, we all handle frames and equipment covered
with bee stuff (technical term for pollen, wax, etc.).

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine