From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:44:56 EDT
few questions from potential volunteers:

> I might very well volunteer to do some of the editing, but I'm not
> sure I understand the plan.  Do you contemplate having a volunteer for
> each thread?  Assuming that is the case, what order of magnitude of
> individual posts would have to be edited down?  How far back do the
> logs go?  Would I download the logs to my computer, and if so how much
> disk space would I need to do that?

My thoughts on the matter were that a volunteer would choose a topic of
interest to them.  I have already identified the logs which contain
information regarding specific topics.  Some subjects are covered in
relatively few logs, other subjects have been discussed extensively
over a long period of time, hence there may be many large logs to
peruse and edit.  For instance, the discussion of bee myths and fables
was covered in a single log (BEE-L LOG9312) which was 3859 lines long,
and the discussion edited down to 156 lines.  On the other hand, the
discussion on Apistan spans more than a dozen logs over four years
and I haven't even attempted the before/after figures.  BEE-L logs go
back to July '89.  I will be happy to send pertinent logs on any
topic directly to any volunteer, sparing them the download procedure.
Remember, the deal is I send the information to volunteers who agree
to send back summaries.  Any takers?

Some common threads include:
acids, african honeybees, allergies, ants, apistan, bears, bees,
beekeeping, books, breed, brood, boy scout merit badge, buckfast,
bumblebee, candles, chalkbrood, dented bees, equipment, extraction,
fables, feeding, foulbrood, foundation, gloves, hive, honey, honeybee,
insurance, dance language, purple loosestrife, lotion, mites, moving
hives, nosema, nucs, observation hives, packaged bees, plastic, pollen
and pollination, propolis, queens, smoke, sting, subscribing and
unsubscribing, swarms, venom, virus, wax, wintering bees and yellow
jackets.

Sincerely,
Aaron Morris