From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 10:39:43 -0400
I have a friend who has a couple hives right smack in the middle of just
such a forestd area.  His bees not only have to go up and over the Cedar
and Douglas Fir trees but they have to travel about a quarter mile or more
to get to the closest forage.  You can see them zooming up over the trees
so no I do not think it would provide a barrier if what he is growing is
attractive to honeybees.  But that's a big if isn't it?  The other thing
that he might not be considering is that bumble bees are usually abundant
in such situations around here.  They seem to go after a much broader range
of flowers than honeybees do.  It should be noted that my friend has not
had much success in beekeeping, though.  The fact that he is in the middle
of the woods may be a contributing factor, but there are other factors to
be sure.

Steve Noble