From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2014 02:02:59 -0400
> We must not forget the history of DDT.

A tiny bit off-topic, but in far many less fortunate places, they must not
forget to BUY the DDT, and must not forget to DEPLOY the DDT.

I've been around a bit more than most.
I ran out of the usual tourist attractions a while ago, so I travel off the
beaten paths more often than not.

From the department of "Everything You Think You Know is Actually Wrong",
999 of 1000 people in places where malaria is an issue preferred DDT to
malaria.  The 1000th person already had malaria, or had died from malaria.
Most of the malaria deaths are kids under 5.

The World Health Organization credits use of DDT and some basic mosquito
control with "a reduction in malaria mortality rates by 42% globally since
2000 and by 49% in the WHO African Region."
http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/malaria/en/

They did a paper in 2011:
http://www.who.int/malaria/publications/atoz/who_htm_gmp_2011/en/

Bottom line, if you are in an area with a serious malaria problem, your BEST
choice right now is DDT.

And remember to start taking your malaria pills about a week and half BEFORE
you arrive in the Province of Veryverybahd in the Republic of
Idontunderstan.  A mombasa over the bed and mosquito nets on tents are  bad
jokes, take the pills, but get the daily pills, there's been some weird
reports coming out of the Navy about the weekly-dose drug "Mefloquine" for a
while now.

========
Sent from my not-so smartphone.
My typo rate may vary