Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2016 11:43:34 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
I maybe should change the title for this ope,  but since I intend to get back to beetles  I left it.

I made my living in engineering and problem solving before I retired and moved to beekeeping.  I still do some consulting in problem solving.  The basics of problem solving for me has been based around the 'Shainin" system  One of the keys to problem solving is determining if it’s a simple or complex problem.  Most of the time its actually simple and a principle called dividing the dictionary will apply.  Sometimes it is complex with many variables,  and then you would use standard scientific and probability.

My first run with beetles was a pallet of hives I placed under an Oak tree  nice spot..  little damp  but off the tractor path.  Beetles wiped it out,  working their way around the pallet.  So study I did. And of course the full sun concept came out.  So I did it and as luck had it, the hives put 30 yards away did well. Turns   that was the end of beetles that season.  Problem solved right??  Not so fast...

Next season,  problems back drat,  wait these hives are in full 100% sun??  tight hives  all the clichés covered.  Didn't matter.  Hives gone.

Crap,  what to do??  So I pondered Randy,  the one thing Randy has done for us,  like it or not,  has to spark intellectual curiosity,  quite repeating and test and try some things.   He has bridged a gap between lab science and real world  lets test this theory. (FWIW  Randy things I am complete bonkers on this topic)

So for the last 2 years I have been doing somethings like I would if I was engineering.   My home yard is set up with hives in morning sun/afternoon shade, Morning shade/ afternoon sun, full sun, and last but not least full shade.    Last year showed me no differences based on sun content.  This year is a repeat,  in fact the 2 yards quite literally destroyed by beetles are remarkable full sun,  not a lick of shade.

I could go into details about eliminating variables  and modifying methods,  but that wasn't my point,  I have no desire to prove anything to anyone.  What I had hoped was that some would be stimulated to question some things.  In fact I was quite surprised no one asked how I came to that conclusion.

In reading the replies,  it seems perfectly clear that everyone who really has beetle issues throws everything but the kitchen sink at them,  and then assumes its all of them combined.  Looking back,  that’s how most problems get solved.  Change everything and never really know what the root cause was.  Some would call it luck,  others superstition. It is our nature.  If our team  wins the game,  then that’s suddenly a lucky Jersey,  Bang on a pot and the swarm lands  and tanging is a miracle...  never mind the fact that  most swarms land within 300 feet of the original hive anyway.

I challenge you guys to move a hive back into the shade next year.  Use all the other techniques such as 1 super at a time etc.  only change one variable at a time.  I have, and found this variable, at least in these soil types to be a complete non issue.  Same in GA, Fl, IL and central OH and HI.

In this case I spent a lot of time looking at variables and others yards.  The vast majority of my friends and colleges who make a lot of honey would tell you afternoon shade at the very least,  and most will tell you full shade.  I can tell you with no doubt that shade will help  most hives make more honey.  And water close by is a huge help.  In fact next year I plan to test filling feeders with water to see if it helps.  

Back to beetles.  Larger operators will tell you the same thing,  shade is not seemingly a factor,  does that mean you should avoid full sun??  nope,  put them where ever you like.  I am sure in some areas  sun on the soil will dry it out and slow beetles down.  I am also sure in some areas it makes things worse,  stressing the bees to beard and hang out instead of protecting comb.  Ever see a beetle hanging out cause it's too hot in the hive??  Guessing not many of us thought that far out.

Was parroting the right term??  Maybe,  maybe not.  Personally I get tired of so much of it going on,  lots of experts who never really had a problem,  tell you all the solutions.  SHB seems to be one of those areas.  Many will not have problems,  or the problems will be minor and short lived,  or their management  slows them down.  If I only had a few hives this would be no doubt less of an issue for me. I completely understand and accept that.  I also know I have to get a handle on it.  I cannot lose 10% every season to beetles,  I need to stop that so as a real result,  I am testing,  calling and discussing  with people in the US and AUS.  Working on and testing prototypes and theories, at great personal expense.

Most experts so far have been VERY dismissive,  and several have commented to me about how upsetting that is.  Someone gets up and says  keep strong hives in full sun and they are a minor nuisance at best.  Well  I have given 2 presentations on SHB in the last 3 months,  and can tell you in my area  it’s a major topic. Best attended meetings,  unfortunately I have no real solid answers to put out,  but I try real hard to be clear on that point.

I spent a lot of time pondering this, we have the same issue on any topic, from pesticides to Screened bottom boards and IPM.  Anytime anyone puts out something that’s different from what we heard  or think,  instead of getting introspective,  we get defensive.   I despise that.   2 weeks ago Tony G Don and I spent time with a friend in OH shaking out bees for test and deadouts.  The one thing we all had in common was respect for the amount of honey this guy runs.  While Ron is trying to assure me its his area and I could never do that well,  I assure him hes wrong,  I just haven’t got it figured out yet.  Tony And Don, agree,  we still have a lot to learn, even given our status as large scale guys, and Master beekeepers.

We have a choice here,  I am sure Aaron can tell you there are a LOT of lurkers who read and never post.  We can have discussion and debates  for everyone's benefit,  or we can pick at each other and keep those lurkers from wanting to add to the conversation.  Personally I wish at times they would speak up.    To do that,  these have to be real discussions,  not a bunch of people driving stakes in the ground and not considering other peoples observations.   To do that we need to ask and respectfully challenge.    Comments like "I hit the delete key" are just misplaced and ..... well you fill in the blank.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2