From:
David Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:18:24 -0400
Bob

you must be having flash backs to the 60's or something. I live in the (most of the time ) highest producing  citrus county in Florida,and home of all those Simply good juices,except Tropicana.
Timik has been used to the max since the Greening debut in this area. It never was stopped being used and was legal, the amount per acre was adjusted .  And I did view a label 2 or 3 years ago,and it stated it was no problem for bees( which I know to be not the case)

I' m not a fan of it, but it is put out with specialized equipment, injected under the trees canopy and not broadcast on the ground, it's much to costly per pound for that,and not legal.
I haven't taken the time to read the links about the phase out,but I  know it's been in use until big brother comes in ,say's we're from the government and we're here to help you and take it from you.

One thing I remember, it's deadly, I have a family member ,farms several thousand acres in Alabama ,and used it to put around the out of the way corners and walls  in  barns. When the nice little rats and mice walk thru it, and get a taste of it, pretty quick they go on to meet Baby Jesus.

Overall I have to agree, I would rather have temik and some of it's cousins around then the new things taking there places, which i'm sure we are eating in our servings of fresh veggies. I know of one local company which extracts flavors and high  dollar oils from  fruits and all other kinds of plant life,which will not use USA citrus because the chemicals detected are  above what some of the international customers will allow,so they import the citrus they do oil extraction from, that's nice.