From:
Diotima Booraem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:10:24 -0400
Hi folks,

I don't post here often, but what Jerry wrote below raised a nagging
question in my mind that I expect some of you can answer, and I'd appreciate
any of your thoughts on this.

Have there been any studies on whether or not CCD is less problematic in
desert climates? It seems to me that if these organisms are the causative
agents, and they thrive in cool, wet conditions then there would be fewer
problems with CCD in desert climates, and cool, wet climates, like the
Pacific Northwest would have more problems. Perhaps this is old news (I've
been on this list for years, but I admit I haven't been reading much
lately), but if that's the case, I'd be thankful if  someone would let me
know so I can get back to concentrating on my work. :-)

Regards,
Diotima (who is thinking about finding sunnier spots for her two remaining
hives...)

> I've been buried by e-mail and phones.  Let this settle a bit, and  then
> I'd like a good discussion.  One point I will make - both pathogens
thrive in
> cool, wet conditions.  Neither tolerates or reproduces well in  hot, dry.
>
> This suggests some options:
>
> Look for sunny beeyards.  Stay out of fog bank areas.    Don't split small
> populations of bees in to two deep boxes.  Keep those  internal temps up.

"If there is a better solution...find it"    Thomas Edison

Virtual Assistance: The better solution for small business.
Diotima Booraem, CPVA
Virtual Executive Assistance
http://www.virtualhelp.biz
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]