From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 06:46:51 -0800
Greetings all,
     Hope all is going well for everyone.  Eastern Missouri appears to be the swarm capital of the midwest this year.  Is this a sign of something?  Of the 12 beekeepers at our meeting last weekend, better than half have had swarms.  Even happens to the best of them I guess.
     I got into another hive Saturday that I was going to split late this week after my queens arrive on Thursday. This hive was really strong, and I found numerous queen cells again in various stages.  I cut all the cells, split the hive, and even split out a 4 frame nuc.  Question is, only one has a queen in it.  There are two queenless ones.   How can I assure a better success of queen acceptance in the queenless hives?  I plan on going in Wednesday and destroying queen cells again.  By then there should be no eggs left, except in the split with the queen.  I realize this wasnt the best way to deal with it, but I didnt want to lose another swarm like I did last week.  Thanks folks!

Scott Moser