From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2013 21:38:56 -0400
>Since closure we have had to learn how to get by, but the industry has
been stunted by regulatory restrictions and the increased risk.

Allen & I have discussed the above many times on the list and have presented many reasons why Canadians have reason to open the border.

I have been called a problem solver by many beekeepers.

Normally I would keep silent on the above but the solution is really simple from my point of view but many commercial friends would perhaps wish I would remain silent.

Each change never pleases all involved.

Here goes:

I would let Canadian beekeepers register locations (like protects Adee honey farms prime locations in North Dakota). Canada is a big country. register your locations *before* the border opens and set a mile limit on the distance another beekeeper can set his hives from you.

I would open the border so Canadian beekeepers can go south to almonds and overwinter if wanted.

There are more advantages to Canadian commercial  beekeepers to having the border open than to U.S. beekeepers.

I am very serious !

package and queen sellers in the U.S, are now selling every package and queen they can produce.

packages are cheaper in California. A season or two and your old contacts in the U.S. will be back.

California beekeepers might want to go into Canada to produce honey but I doubt Midwestern and southern beekeepers will.

smart beekeepers from both sides with their act together might cross. Those without proper documentation will either be held up for days or turned back. Loads entering Canada can be tested for small hive beetle like when entering California.

The border crossing today is not the border crossing before the closing.

Loads entering and returning into Canada can be unloaded and checked within say 50 miles of the crossing and inspected before moving north if felt needed.

I really do not see opening the border would benefit myself and only advise as an outsider looking at a possible solution to the issue.

SHB is easily the lowest concern on most commercial beekeepers list of problems.

bob