From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 20:25:54 -0400
>For example, chlorine was suggested as a method of controlling nosema. I
>would like to know more about that. Did that work? I probably would have no
>qualms about using it if I thought it worked.

This statement got me wondering just how many chemicals are being thrown at
colonies by members of this list.  I lack the time to search the archives to
find out, but have to ask the question whether the patient is dying from the
disease or the treatment(s)?

I would like to begin by saying that in 2010 I applied no chemicals whatever to my hives and had zero winter losses. However, I currently have legal formic acid pads in storage. I have never used oxalic acid, or any off label treatments. Chlorine, however, is another matter. It is routinely added to water and is GRAS (generally recognized as safe). As was mentioned, it could legitimately be added to sugar syrup to retard spoilage.

Insofar as what other beekeepers do, I have seen it all. Over the years I have gained the trust of many beekeepers, large scale and small. And I learned firsthand, almost every sort of poison has been dumped on bees to rid them of parasites and disease. Even back in the late 1800s various anti-bacterial substances were already being tried, following Pasteur's discoveries of microorganisms and their link to infection and disease.

However, this is not unique to beekeeping. The history of medicine is littered with stories of treatments that killed more people than they cured. At one time, going to the hospital was considered the last stop before the morgue. Home remedies as well as prescription ones have gotten people addicted, poisoned, maimed, etc. So beekeeping is does not have a corner on folly. Most folks that try unethical or problematical methods do not go around announcing it, however.

Studies out of southern Europe revealed any number of puzzling, disturbing and downright revolting substances being tried on bees to rid them of mites. It's human nature to want to kill tiny crawling things. I wouldn't be too harsh on beekeepers in this regard, they only want their bees to prosper. No one relishes the thought of dousing their colonies with vile acids, noxious vapors, or any other insidious substances. If they would survive without these things, we would all be happier, I'm sure.

PLB