From:
Layne Westover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:05:24 -0600
>>> [log in to unmask] 04/01/02 11:39AM >>>
Bob Harrison Wrote:
Layne wrote:
I only treat when I see a need, so I haven't treated my bees for a good while now.

Being always interested in methods others use to determine when
and when not to treat for varroa could you share your methods with
us.
Every researcher i ask tells a different story on mite threshold.

One of the charms of the Internet and of this discussion list is that there
is a degree of anonymity, even when we sign our names and tell people
where we are from.  They do not know our background, our experience,
or our expertise or training unless we tell them about ourselves.  People
make assumptions about others based on what they write and how they
write (at least I do).  I prefer to remain anonymous and keep people
guessing who I am and how much I know and how I know it.  It's more
fun that way.

Having said that, I am afraid that my response to your request may be
disappointing:  I am not sure if you assumed that I am a researcher, but
I am not (at least that is not what I do for a living).  I do not use a "mite
threshold" as in IPM, and I do not count mites per se.  I watch for
bees tossing out deformed pupae, for deformed wings on drones, and
for mites on bees when I inspect a hive.  If I see those things, I know
I have a problem.  If it's a hive I want to save, I treat it in such a way as
to not contaminate honey or honey supers.

I prefer to not spend money on expensive chemicals and I can afford
to lose bees because I do not make my living from them.  I figure that
with enough experience I will learn how to keep bees successfully
without using poisonous chemicals.  At least that is my goal.  One of
the reasons I know as much as I do (and how much or little is that?)
is that I have tried a great number of things and, as Jim Satterfield
would say, "I let the bees tell me."  I find that often I end up having the
same results as my friends in the area who use the chemicals religiously.
That's why I wonder if there are not a lot more factors involved besides
whether or not you treat your bees with chemicals.  There is still so
much to learn.

Layne Westover, College Station, Texas