From:
ROBIN DARTINGTON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:23:47 +0000
J Waggle wrote: "Do you have reference supporting that outer beespush to the center of the cluster?"

No, I confess it is only a commonsense assumption, which is not inconsistent with the mathematical model in your reference. The model is interesting but appears simplistic.

The model shows  that cluster temperatures can result from individual bees taking action to regulate their individual temperatures.  i.e.there is no need to assume all the bee brains connect wirelessly into a giant computer. It says: individual bees in the mantel can pack closer by better aligning with neighbours, so increasing heat transfer with neighbours  (and inadvertently but beneficially reducing convection losses from the cluster overall); if still cold bees heat themselves by shivering.

By common observation, colonies consume 30  to  60lbs of stores during the winter clustering. The bees cannot fill that much into their stomachs before clustering, so individual bees must be able to refill from time to time.  Those in the mantel will need to shiver most so will run out of food fastest.
There seem only two ways bees in the mantel can refuel: 1) by food sharing bee to bee from the inside to the outside of the cluster - unlikely as the bees are too tightly packed to align head to head; or the outer bees work their way to the hollow centre and are then fed by the active house bees or fill themselves from the open food cells in the hollow core.

We all know the winter cluster forms on the bottom of the combs and flows upwards as stores are consumed. It is not fixed in position. so the individual bees certainly do move.

Overall, the model seems overly mathematical and insufficiently attentive to bee biology.

It notes that bees cluster as a swarm (which is just a ball of bees)  but then considers the winter cluster on combs without (so far as I saw on a quick read) taking into account the conductivity of the combs and the fact that the combs require some bees to lie horizontally spaced apart by the cell walls and so unable to pack more closely when they wish. The winter cluster must be a combination of vertically hanging bees able to adjust the packing density and these horizontal bees at fixed spacing and must be very complex indeed to model.

Or maybe I read through the article too fast?

In haste
Robin