From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:07:04 -0500
>Related subject - I tried a local family's 'Fireweed' honey out of a
>plastic-lined drum.  It tastes great - but, I am pretty sure it's from
>their 2005 crop.  Does Fireweed just keep better than other honeys?

I have heard one or two beekeepers claim honey over a year old is "no good".
This is not really based on fact, but I suspect it is a ploy to get people
to buy fresh honey. It certainly keeps for years, though the blossom-like
flavor of some honeys may fade in time.

pb

* * *

Honey FAQ (from Sioux)

Honey is by nature very low in bacteria and other microbes and does not
benefit from a pasteurization process.

Honey will keep indefinitely if stored in a sealed container. It is best
stored at room temperature. Refrigeration promotes granulation.

Honey darkens with age and becomes a bit stronger in flavor. It will not spoil.

Granulation is a natural characteristic of pure honey which does not harm it
or indicate any deterioration of the honey. It is also easily reversed by
carefully heating the honey container in hot water.