Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:20:45 EST
According to Joel Govostes:

> Someone on sci.agriculture.beekeeping asked about a simple method to wire
> frames.  Here is my cheap and lazy technique, which usually works without
> trouble:
>
> I only use two wires across each sheet of foundation, to hold it straight
> and centered in the (deep) frame.  So I only use the two center-most wire
> holes in the end bars.  The upper portion of the sheet is anchored by
> the wedge in the top bar, and the lower portion is anchored by its fitting
> in to the bottom bar, and being fixed by the bees there as well.
>
> I hold the frame in my left hand, and with my right I "thread" the wire
> through the eyelets so I have two wires crossing the frame.  Next, I start
> a brad (small nail) into the end bar, wrap the end of the wire around it a
> few times, and drive it in. Then I wiggle or snip off the pigtail sticking
> out from under the nail-head.
>
> So one end of the wire is anchored, and the wire passes across the frame
> twice and comes out of the end now facing "up" at me, and leads back to
> the spool.
>
> Now I grab the wire with my right hand, a short distance away from where
> it emerges from the end-bar hole, and tug firmly to take up any slack.
> Now the easy part:
>
> I set the opposite end bar against the edge of my work bench, and lean
> gently on the frame while pulling on the wire.  What happens is, the frame
> bows, ever so slightly, and I take up the slack by pulling on the wire.
> NOW right away, while the frame is still under tension, I wrap the wire
> around another brad which has been set into the edge of the end bar near
> where the wire passes thru.  A few quick wraps, then drive that 2nd brad
> in, and wiggle or snip the wire off.  That's it.  The wire is well tense
> enough for supporting the comb straight and firm.
>
> It  helps to have a little V or groove cut in the edge of the work table,
> so that when you press the frame toward it (to slightly bow the frame),
> the wire won't get pinched between the far end bar and the edge of the
> table iself.
>
> I hope this description is adequate.  It is very fast.  Then I insert a
> sheet of crimp-wired brood foundation, with hooks, nail the top-bar wedge
> back in, and the frame is ready for the embedder.  My cheap method is to
> set the frames with foundation out in the sun, or on the warm hood of my
> car, for very few minutes, just to warm slightly.  Then I set each frame
> over a simple embedding board, and run the hand (spur-wheel) embedder
> across the wires.  Works like a charm, and the resulting combs are just
> great.
>
> If the wire isn't taught enough, just start over, and lean on the frame a
> bit more next time.  But not too much!  The wires don't have to extremely
> tight, just straight and under firm tension.  You should notice a
> low-medium singing note if you pluck them.  I hope someone else will find
> this useful. -- JG

I use the same technique, but I use a staple gun to anchor the
wires-- I staple the end of the wire, then fold it back and
staple agaijn.  I also use staples at the edge of the frame
holes, to keep the wire from digging into ,the frames.  Then I
pass an electrivc soldering iron over the wire to heat and
embed it.  FWIW

Regards,

fredE