From:
Richard Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 14:36:57 -0500
I live in Oklahoma, USA and we have had several days that the smoke from the
fires in Mexico have caused a haze to be in the air.  It looks like the smog
that is in large cities.  I have noticed that the bees are a lot less active
when the haze is in the air.  Could smoke from a forest fire more than 1000
miles away cause the bees to feel that they are being constantly smoked?

I feel that this is having a negative effect on my bees and have seen early
honey production fall behind last year.  The weather has been pretty much
the same as last year with the exception of the "second hand" smoke.  Most
of Texas is under an air quality alert because of the particulate matter the
fires have thrown into the air.

Richard L. Barnes