From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2014 09:14:03 -0700
>My results have convinced me that local levels are pervasive but low
(average of 0.64 ppB for all 10 samples for all 8 neonicotinoids) but high
enough to account for a drastic reduction in the quality of bee health and
survivability that I have seen in our area (Carlisle, MA) that started in
2006 when the CCD crisis first came on the US scene.

Thanks Ernie.  FWIW, the bee health crisis, and signs of CCD started prior
to 2006.  Dave Hackenberg (pers comm) started seeing it in his hives in
2003, and we saw it in Calif (with virtually no neonic exposure in 2004).

Perhaps you could ask Dr. Lu for us why, if the typical measured levels
were less than 1 ppb, that he tested for effects at 135 ppb?  Some of us
have noticed that there is a great difference between drinking the amount
of alcohol in one beer, as opposed to that in 135 beers at a sitting.

Another question (not rhetorical, I'd really like an answer) is that if you
observed a drastic reduction in the quality of bee health at 0.64 ppb, why
was Lu unable to observe that effect when feeding a much higher dose during
the summer?

I get no pleasure in trashing a dedicated scientist.  But I don't want to
see pesticide policy based upon junk science.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA