From:
Andreas Kasenides <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 10:01:25 +0200
I have read with great interest the article from Nick  Wallingford
about requeening since many of you have suggested that my bees'
"social problems" can be adjusted by requeening. Since hives of a couple
of stories high full of nasty bees are not at all easy to handle, I have never
attempted locating a queen in any hive higher than a single story (and that
with very little success).  Imagine somebody behind a hood and wire
mesh with heavy gloves trying to locate a queen.  Visibility is not good
and the constant buzzing of "excited" bees is not at all helpfull....
Now if I could obtain a good tempered queen from somewhere.

But my main question is: Are there any changes to the procedure when
trying to establish new colonies from an already established one? Any
more suggestions in doing this? Is it more desirable to establish new
colonies through the natural swarm method or this "multiplying" method?

And something else. Somebody on the list suggested a method of applying
MAVRIK by using wooden inserts that have been left to dry.  Does
anybody know of any more details on this method. MAVRIK is the only
thing against varroa that we have here and any new methods, less painful
to bees, are welcomed.

Thanks
Andreas