Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:23:49 -0400
Interesting thread, one point mentioned, only in passing, as "negative", is, in fact, a big "positive" one for beginners, IMHO, "technique".  Learning to handle combs/frames with a "top bar" will make for better "mainstream" beekeeper.

Having inspected more "hobbyist" hives than I care to remember, was "appalling" to watch them drag out combs "every which way but vertical", rolling bees and scraping capping's with the resulting "uproar" of bee aggression, not mention a sticky mess.

I have a lot of memories of inspections, some good and others bad, but the most vivid is of guy in his early "twenties".  I knocked and stated my business, he said just a moment and returned "rigged out" like he worked for Dee Lusby or was somewhere in Central America.  Had he tripped and fell, he never would have gotten up without help.

He stood there, never said a word, while I inspected the hive in only a veil and a single puff of smoke.  I filled out the form and asked him if there were any questions?  Why didn't they sting you, he asked?

No, it wasn't Aaron, but it was sort of his "neighbor", give or take a couple of "country miles".

Rip