From:
John Partin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:50:26 -0400
  Hugo I will try and tell you about forced supercedure.  I hope Mr.
Murrell will also he is a lot better with words than I, but here goes.
    As Mr. Murrell says we put a cell with a protector up in the honey
supers during a honey flow.  As you know during the flow bees are so
busy putting up honey you can do things that you can not do when they
are not making honey. They pay little attention to the new queen when
she comes out.  She then does what all new queens do and goes out and
mates comes back to the hive.  We think that what happens is when she
comes back you will have two queens laying until the flow is over and
then most of the  time one of the queens makes it and we do not know
what happens to the other queen.  Most of the the time the new queen
will be the one that makes it.
   I think one of the reasons the new queen does not make it is that
during the flow the air is full of bees and she does not find her way
back to the correct hive. We put our hives in large yards, 40 to 60 per
yard, and if you had smaller yards your success rate would be a lot
higher.
BUD