Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2014 07:24:36 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
A friend of mine wants to record sounds in my bee hives. I think it would be a neat project as personally I am always intrigued by some of the different fanning tones, strange deep grunting noises, virgin queens piping and the sounds they make as they chew on new woodenware and support wires/fishing line. 

So his question is if anyone has any good ideas for the microphone as he is leery to risk damaging his high dollar mics. Here is what he wrote:

"I am a sound engineer who records nature sounds to incorporate into music recordings in different ways. I'm interested in recording the sounds inside a hive and am curious if anyone in the forum has experience with this type of sound recording. If so, what microphones have you used? Did your mic survive the environment unscathed? The few folks whose sound tests inside the hive I've read about opted for cheap microphones ($10-$15), which I tend to shy away from in favor of higher quality mics. That said, I'm not too enthused to subject a higher end mic to its final mission inside the hive. I plan to leave the mic in the hive for 1-2 hrs maximum. Let me know your thoughts and/or experience. Thanks." 

I am wondering about sewing up a thin cloth sleeve to go over the mic to protect it and I would imagine that small mics would be far better than large ones to get into the brood nest area.  

Any other sound recording tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan

Ryan Williamson 

www.sourwoodfarm.com

>

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2