Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 16:25:03 GMT
Hi Allen, I was a bit baffled at the presentation as well.  When I have time I will post more (mostly about assumptions that are made), but this particular point/exchange really confused me.

At about 31:10

[Dr. Lu]“This is yesterday’s news…look at this.  This is not related to CCD.  But the same pesticide that we are looking at right now, already causing resistance problems.”

[The slide on the screen shows the headline: Scientists warn EPA on Monsanto Corn Rootworm....clearly about Bt toxin.  The article on the screen is this one:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/09/us-monsanto-corn-idUSBRE82815Z20120309 ]

[Me] “Is that imidacloprid, or is that just the Bt toxin?”

[Dr. Lu]“It’s imidacloprid…because of rootworm.  Imidacloprid was designed to kill rootworm.

[Me]“Ok, I thought that was Bt toxin that the rootworm was getting resistant to.”

[Dr. Lu]“The Bt being used as a vehicle to deliver those genes into the corn seed.  Because it is a bacteria.  They use this bacteria as a vehicle to bring those genes into the seed…otherwise the corn would reject those genes.”

...he clearly completely misread the article he is citing.  He clearly doesn't understand what Bt corn is.

I'd like not to assume that he thinks imidacloprid is a transgentic gene inserted into the corn plant via Bt bacterium....but that is my best guess.

At a presentation like this (a large group of beekeepers) it isn't really fair to hammer into an invited presenter (even after the fact)....but I also don't think it's fair to have this presented to beekeepers with not only the credentials of Harvard University,but our well respected bee inspector /club program director, and a well respected retired PhD entomologist behind it....both of whom I serve on the BOD of our club with.

Of course, every beekeeper wants to hear that CCD is Monsanto and Bayer's fault.  I haven't talked to most of the board since the event, but I don't get the feeling that there are any that are critical besides Ramona and myself.  Most are proud that this study was done in our county by members of our club.  I feel responsible to the membership of our club to offer some critique.

deknow