From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 09:02:05 -0400
More than ten years ago it was known that neonics are toxic to bees in certain concentrations, but that field studies are the crucial determinant. This was published in the Bulletin of Insectology, same pub as Dr. Lu. Maybe he should read it and not just use it as a mouthpiece

> The results of seven European laboratories show that the molecule is very toxic to bees in the laboratory...

> Nevertheless, tunnel and field researches demonstrated that honey bees hardly get in contact with toxic concentrations of imidacloprid on seed dressed crops.

> In conclusion, our research shows that, in certain con- ditions, the administration of imidacloprid can lead to the disappearance of honey bees from the hive, probably due to the disorientation caused by the substance.

> Further studies are needed to investigate if such conditions can actually occur in the field.

Laura BORTOLOTTI, et al. Effects of sub-lethal imidacloprid doses on the homing rate and foraging activity of honey bees. Bulletin of Insectology 56 (1): 63-67, 2003