From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 10:25:29 -0400
3. Juliana Rangel's finding that even low residues of some miticides in
   the cell cup wax can result in queens with poor production of pheromones
   from their mandibular glands, as well as premature failure of sperm in
   their spermatheca.

Right, I have followed these studies closely. The problem is, we don't have any proof that supersedure is "caused" by this. You would think that the colony would supersede under these circumstances, but what if they don't?

Nobody knows how supersedure is initiated. Some colonies supersede apparently "good" queens, whereas others fail to supersede even after the queen becomes a drone layer and is completely shot.

My own feeling is that the queen initiates supersedure. I may not be able to prove it, but it fits the evidence somewhat better than other explanations. I think that swarming is also based upon her reproductive state. Again, no proof.

PLB