Date:
Sun, 12 May 2013 11:20:53 -0600
> I used the pads in August and September as I took off supers.  Hive
> configurations were mostly a deep and a medium but there were also
> double deeps and a few single feels.  All got two strips.  It was
> still warm so no real clusters.

I wonder why some have success and some disaster. I suspect the
difference may be in the way they are applied.

Personally, I would smoke the bees down well before applying and maybe
choose a time later in the day to avoid the sudden jolt of fumes that
could result from being right under a hot lid at midday.

I'd also be reluctant to apply them the moment I remove supers from tall
hives, as the bees are accustomed to boiling up through the broods into
the supers.  A day or two later, they have learned there is no place to
go up there.

I'd also observe if there is brood right up to the top bars or if it is
down further, and place the pads to the sides, not too close to the brood.

Anyone have any comments on this aspect of the question?