From:
The Cleanup Crew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 11:46:01 -0400
In spite of imploring members to read the guidelines and trim quotes to the minimum, we still get posts with the entire previous message included. Usually we just delete them, but if we are in a good mood, and there is something good in them, sometimes we pass them on.  If you decide to reply to one of these, CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE.  Thanks.
---

I am a new beekeeper (just started this year with one nuc hive from
Foothills Honey Farm in Colton, OR).  My bees seem quite healthy at the
moment, but I have yet to do a mite count or anything like that.  I've been
feeding them sugar syrup with Honey-B Healthy and did the powdered sugar
dusting about two weeks ago just as a precaution (a comical sight for
sure!).  Anyway, my strategy is to use only "natural" products, remedies,
and preventatives.  From what I've read, that might not work all the time,
but I'd rather not go down the route of harsh chemicals and medicines right
out of the starting gate.  For mite control, I was considering the formic
acid strips, but then heard about a new product made from hops.  Since I'm
also an avid homebrewer, this sounded like just the thing for me!  The
product is called HopGuard and it just came on the market.  I ordered one
packet of it and received it yesterday.  I hope to put it on the hive today.
 The claim is that HopGuard is less risky to administer than formic acid
(and certainly the harsher stuff) and it can be left on the hive even when
the honey supers are on.  It is also supposed to be less stressful to the
bees.  If anyone is interested, I can give you an update on how it goes.
 Finally, if you'd like to try it for yourself, you can buy HopGuard from Mann
Lake Ltd<http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=1977&idCategory=6>.
 $30 plus S&H for 50 strips.  Application rate is two strips per 10-frame
box and they should be left on the hive for two weeks.

---
>>> But if the mites do seek out drone larva, how do they know where to go? Is
>>> it the larger cell size or a scent that guides them?

> Scent.

Thanks. So, could you build a varroa trap that smells like a drone locker room and contains sticky material?