From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:14:18 +0000
As we learned from the paper by Isawa et al, DMI fungicides plus cyano-substituted neonics are very toxic to bees, more toxic than either one alone.

And as Jim pointed out, the degree of toxicity is still dwarfed by imidacloprid because the neonics acetamaprid and thiacloprid are so much less toxic to bees to begin with, that even after increasing their toxicity hundreds of times, IMI is still worse.  (IMI is the most widely used pesticide in the world, by the way).

But maybe there are cases where the combination of a DMI fungicide and one of those cyano-substituted neonics can be an unexpectedly toxic cocktail and kills bees.

So I spent some time trying to figure out if there are any correlations between the use of these compounds and complaints of bee kills from beekeepers, using Bee-L archives.  I realize there are probably much better national databases on bee kill incidents, so feel free to offer those and/or correct what I did.

Starting with the two types of pesticide:

Triflumazole (DMI fungicide) dramatically increases the toxicity of thiacloprid and acetamiprid (cyano substituted neonics) to honeybees.  However, by itself it has passed the EPA test as having low toxicity to bees.  It is marketed as “Procure” for outdoor use, and “Terraguard” for greenhouse use.  In recent years, increased permissions for outdoor uses have been sought.  Below are quotes from the manufacturers:

(1996) Procure 50WS is labeled to control powdery mildew and scab on apples, pears, and grapes. Procure SOWS (EPA Reg. No. 400-431) is a broad-spectrum foliar fungicide used to control diseases on apples, pears, and grapes.  Procure is applied by ground to grapes at a single rate of 0 25 lb. ai/acre and a  seasonal rate of 1 lb. ai/acre.  It is applied to apples and pears by ground or air at a single rate of 0.5 lb. ai/acre and a seasonal rate of  2 lb. ai/acre.  Procure 50WS contains 50h triflumizole.

As the mean field dissipation rate for triflumizole is eight days, chronic toxicity is not likely to occur.

(2002)  Procure 50WS (EPA Reg. No. 400-431) is currently labeled as a broad-spectrum foliar fungicide for

control of certain diseases of grapes and pome fruits (apples and pears) at a maximum application rate of one

 lb. ai/acre/season (grapes) and two lbs. ai/acre/season (pome fruits). The revised label adds use on cucurbits

 (1.25 lbs. ai/acre/season), cherries (3.0 lbs. ai/acre/season) and strawberries (1.0 lb. ai/acre/season).

The following statements come from the “Directions for Use” pamphlets:

Procure should be applied during full bloom on cherries.

Curcubits should be sprayed every 7 to 14 days until harvest.

Grapes should be sprayed before bloom and up to harvest every 7 to 14 days.

Calypso is the commercial Bayer product containing thiacloprid and it is used on the following crops:

Crop Group 11 Pome Fruit: Apple, Crabapple, Loquat, Mayhaw, Pear, Oriental Pear, Quince.

Directions:  For pear psylla, apply the higher rate when pest pressure is high. Target prebloom and postbloom to first cover when populations have reached economic thresholds and the majority of the population is in early instar stages. Reapply at 7-10 day intervals if monitoring indicates populations have reached economic threshold.

·

For European apple sawfly, apply the higher rate when pest pressure is high. Target petal fall when populations have reached economic thresholds. If there is a history of heavy sawfly pressure in the orchard, target the Calypso applications at pink and petal fall. Reapply at 7-10 day intervals if monitoring indicates populations have reached

economic thresholds.

Biscaya is a systemic insecticide (Thiacloprid) that provides you with control of pollen beetles in oilseed rape and mustard, aphids in broccoli/calabrese, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, parsnips, peas, oilseed rape and potatoes and a reduction of damage by orange wheat blossom midge in wheat.

Acetamaprid (Assail):

For use on apples, aubergines, brassicas, cabbages, canola, cereals, citrus, cole crops, cotton, cucumbers, flowering plants, fruiting vegetables, grapes, leafy vegetables, lettuce, melons, noncrop uses, onions, ornamentals, palm fruit, peaches, peppers, pome fruits, potatoes, rice, stone fruits, strawberries, sugar beet, tea, tobacco, tomatoes, vines, water melon

Now to bee kill/sickened incidents:  Are beekeepers complaining about sick bees on/near these crops, and are any reporting the use of those pesticides?  From archives on Bee-L:

Peter Borst posted Beekeeper Says Chemical Affecting His Business

“Doan explains the chemicals aren't directly killing the bees, but they are making them forget how to be bees, which ultimately kills the hive.

Over the course of a summer, his farm usually supplies bees to 30 apple farms and 20 vine farms for products like squash. He says right now he can probably supply only about three farms. Farmers say these bees are important for them to stay in business.

"Without the bees the female flowers don't get pollen from the male flowers and therefore no squash, so bees are essential to our operation," said farmer Chris Martin.”

Jeremy Martin:

“I have a pretty serious pesticide issue to deal with.  Brood destroyed in around 200 hives.  I am wondering if any of these chemicals would be likely to leave lipophilic residue in the combs. Trade name "Tourismo", active ingredients flubendiamide and buprofezin.   Trade name

"Protocol", active ingredients thiophanate-methyl and propiconazole.”

(NOTE:  Propiconazole is another DMI fungicide)