From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2017 08:10:57 -0500
Regarding bees chewing communication holes in foundation, you may recall
Duraguilt had the pop-out holes in the corners that could be popped out to
provide communication holes.  I read a bee magazine article some years back
by a well known researcher showing the superiority of wax vs plastic
foundation.  I had a couple of cases of crimp wired deep foundation and dug
out my frame wiring jig and installed about 50 deeps worth of wax
foundation.

Never again!  I was quickly reminded of the superiority  of plastic based
foundation.  The wax-based frames usually had a rim of drone cells and
plenty of communication gaps, but the proliferation of drone cells around
the edges set my teeth on edge.  I culled them pretty quickly.

I have been culling plastic frames as fast as I can too.  Too much propolis
and burr comb on the plastic top bars resulting in great difficulty prying
deeps and supers apart.  Wood frames and plastic foundation for me
henceforward.

3 degrees F here in upper North Carolina this morning.  No big losses for
me.  Applied OA in late December and most hives looked fine.  If I see the
cluster from above in December I put on a 3 inch rim, a sheet of newspaper
and fill it with dry sugar.  The sugar seems to provide insulation, absorbs
moisture, and is readily eaten by the bees as they tunnel through it in
early spring.

Thanks Randy for the OA shop towel work!  I am going to try it ASAP.  Will
let you know how it does in a humid climate.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC