From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:18:43 -0600
I am hoping that other members of the list will be able to critique
regarding my following comments.

In common with other agricultural activities, Apiculture is challenged
when operators endevour to maintain healthy stocks.

Part of the battle is waged against parasites and disease.

Relating to V.d, several methods of control (with varying levels of
efficiency) have been developed. Some specific to the mite ( Oxalic,
Formic acids), others, borrowed from other targets (fluvalinate).

In common with most pest control programs, the efficiency of artificial
molecules have limited lives. This usually being due to resistance
appearing against the applied substances in targeted organisms.

But, unlike most other branches of agriculture, we have effectively lost
our main weapons against V.d.
We find ourselves in a position where the only materials or techniques
left to our disposal, are those that were previously considered second
rate (for a multitude of factors).

Before resistance etc. occurs in other crop and animal production
systems, research has in place the next generation of "helpful" products.
A cereal farmer for example is spoilt for choice on how to control a
particular condition developing in the field.
Agrochemical companies pour dollars into advertising to attempt to
persuade individuals to use their particular product.

Beekeepers on the other hand are left attempting to read the minds of
regulating authorities and how they may react to the application of
oxalic acid and the like.

As part of the agric. world, are we the only ones who are ill prepared
for the future?
Take away "the strips" now, and how many people will stop working with bees.

The initials IPM are no doubt familiar to many - but how many are able
to put into place an effective program and maintain medium term?

I do not think that other systems in food production would cope either -
but they are not faced with the dilemma of having to go out and squash
aphids by hand.
Our IPM techniques are not that basic I suppose, but they do not apply
well to commercial circumstances either.

So, why the lacune in product diversity in V.d. control?

AFB - what have we in that arsenal?
Seems pretty limited as well!

Now I expect "the lack of cash etc." comments to be warmed up.

My response to that is - Who's fault is that?

Response - - OURS!

If we, as a section of agriculture are too small to auto generate cash,
then we should be tapping funding sources that are capable of supplying
the correct amount.

To do that, our directing organisations need continuous audit to ensure
efficient and effective action.

They need to be responsive, forward thinking and in touch with
beekeepers. Reacting to their needs.

Maybe it is I who is out on a limb, but I consider it to be too often
the other way around.

It is the beekeepers who have to react to the researcher and the
attached ego - often a reflection of the world in which such individuals
live.

Ask for info. and more often than not, a confidentiality clause is
quoted rather than useful facts, figures or data.

So, if the industry is able to survive the expected onslaught of
resistant V.d., lets try and get together to ensure we are not left
lacking as we appear to be at the present.

Peter