From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2010 17:02:21 -0700
> http://www.eurekalert.org/ Of the 406 plants collected, 347
> (86%) tested positive for CP4 EPSPS protein (confers tolerance
> to glyphosate herbicide) or PAT protein (confers tolerance to
> glufosinate herbicide).

The results of this study are neither surprising nor alarming according
to Monsanto.

Monsanto's side of the story:
http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto_today/2010/roadside_canola_survey.asp
Roadside Canola Survey Aug.5, 2010

"Those familiar with canola know that these plants are readily
found on roadsides and in areas near farmers fields. This was
true prior to the introduction of GM canola, and a common
source is seed that has scattered during harvest and fallen off
a truck during transport said Tom Nickson, Environmental
Policy Lead at Monsanto. Because about 90 percent of the
U.S. and Canadian canola crop is biotech, it is reasonable to
expect a survey of roadside canola to show similar levels of
biotech plants.

Indeed, in their evaluation of Roundup Ready canola in the
early to mid 1990s, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
and Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) recognized that,
like traditional canola, biotech canola would volunteer, and
depending on where it was found, might require management,
Nickson said.

While much roadside canola is managed simply through
mowing, Monsanto provides farmers and other professionals
who use our products information on managing plants like
volunteer canola. he said."

See also:
http://www.monsantoblog.com/2010/08/06/roadside-canola-survey/
Aug. 6, 2010 GM Canola on the Loose? Some Points to Consider

Excerpts:

1) All types of canola, GM or not, can be found growing
along roadsides or other areas near farm fields.

2) A collection of roadside canola, unsurprisingly, is expected
to reflect the makeup of nearby farmers canola crops.

3) There is no reason to believe that glyphosate-tolerant
canola exhibits any increased weediness relative to
traditional varieties. Gene flow from GT73 to relatives
is indeed possible, but would not result in increased
weediness or invasiveness of these relatives.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.