From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2013 07:02:53 +1300
>Given the way neonics are being sprinkled around like water, their targets
are also likely to develop resistance.

Resistance has already been seen in some insects starting a few years ago.
 This is completely expected, especially with the agricultural industry's
typical lack of integrated pest management.  All should realize that the
neonics, as with all other insecticides, have a limited effective life when
overused.  There is nothing unique about the neonics in this aspect.

 >When resistance appears, the neonic dose will have to be increased to
maintain current economic benefits. This is always the way with pesticides.

Has already happened with the higher dose seed treatment formulations.

 >And since neonics are toxic to bees, they can expect to pay the price.

Not likely to happen, due to the heightened awareness of the regulators.
 However, economics sometimes trumps environmentalism.  There are currently
areas in Florida that are officially "off limits" to honey bees
(recommendations) due to registration of systemic treatments to save young,
nonbearing citrus.  I find this sort of "selling out" to be especially
troubling.

> >I remain unconvinced neonics can be considered harmless

I have never heard anyone saying that neonics should be considered
"harmless."  It really doesn't help in this discussion to paint with such
broad black or white strokes.

 >Funny they picked canola to test when there have been no anecdotal
reports of problems with it.

Of course there were anecdotal reports! (You should have heard them in
Australia a few years ago!)  They've just tended to fall away as others
didn't notice them!
One reason that regulators are interested in the canola data is that canola
is bee attractive (as opposed to maize), and that there are residues in
both nectar and pollen.  That means bees in tests will get the maximum
exposure to residues.

 >Oh well, I guess they know what they’re doing.

Glad to hear!  Yes, they do!

> >Hopefully beekeepers have bees left to save if and when our own ‘Dr.
> Koop’ arrives to dish out some sanity.

Ted, despite your hyperbole, the vast majority of beekeepers that I've
spoken to in the areas of most intensive applications of neonics by seed
treatment, have thriving colonies, and feel that the neonics have been a
vast improvement over previous pesticides.  If you have actual personal
experience to the contrary, please share it with the List--I'm sure that
we'd all like to hear.

Those on the List who have actual experience, such as Bob Harrison, have
accurately reported experiences with planting dust.  The EPA is begging
beekeepers to report adverse effects.  You can go to my website to get
addresses for where to report adverse effects.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA