From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:51:05 -0600
I don't know whether I really want to step into this discussion, but here
is my two bits:

> One thing I have been thinking about ever since was could bees be managed
> organically...?

> 1) Is organic beekeeping possible ?  Maybe, but not in many locations.
In some places like Montana, we have large spaces where beekeepers run
bees next to rangeland.  In those locations, one could avoid spray ----
but we found residues of DDD, DDT, and other pesticides in every bee (not
honey) sample that we ever took.  Granted the levels were very low, but
it does point out that pesticide residues occur globally.

Are there sufficient techniques to deal with mites and diseases ?  Are
these techniques cost effective ?   Again, some of our isolated locations
remain mite free, but they are a long way from any other beekeeper and a
long way from any town of any size (hundred miles or more).

If mites are present, cultural practices would be time consuming and may
not be effective.  For example, caging the queen to induce brood breaks
to curb varroa mite infestations.  But all may be lost is infested feral
or managed colonies occur within flight range.

This assumes that "truly" organic does not allow use of menthol or grease
patties or essential oils.

> Can colony nutritional needs be met using organic products (would
> organic syrup be necessary for fall feedings) ?

Why would organic syrup be any different than any other syrup (I don't
know of anyone putting additives into syrup for nutritional purposes).

> 2) Would certification be shooting the rest of the industry in the foot ?
> As consumers may be largely unaware that any pesticides or antibiotics
> are used in the production of honey, would an organic product severely
> taint the consumer's perception of the purity of honey.

This is a very interesting point.  Our 20+ years of pollution research
points out that honey remains remarkedly "clean", despite our mucking
around.  We sometimes see traces of organic pesticides, some "natural"
plant derivatives, but mostly the levels are hard to detect and of no
human health significance.  Bottom line, honey is as pure or better than
most food products.  Biggest source of honey contamination is sloppy
handling.

Can't say the same for pollen or the bees themselves.  However, pollen
usually is ok, but don't collect it from a sprayed field or under the
smokestacks of heavy industry.

Thus, honey already is about as good as it gets.  "Organic honey" implies
that it needs to be improved - not necessarily true and almost impossible
to achieve.

> 3) Can other organic agricultural sectors that require pollination
> services (like tree fruits) really use hives that are being managed
> conventionally for pollination ? Isn't that cheating ?

Are you going to fence out the non-honey bee pollinators?  Does that mean
that the fruit picker can't have picked fruit in an orchard that isn't
being managed organically?  Seems like this thread can be carried to extreme.

> 4) Would organic beekeeping really command superior prices for hive
> products ?

No data, but it may depend on the country in which your reside.  It
seems to me that more U.S. beekeepers should ask higher prices
for different types of honey, as happens in Europe.  Emphasizing the
marketing of a white, clover-like honey as "the premier honey" is a
bigger problem in terms of U.S. honey sales.  I refuse to judge honey in
the U.S.  To me, any honey judging system that ignores taste seems to have
gone off-track. (That statement ought to get some curses from the list,
but I really think we made a big mistake years ago).

5) Is the application of pesticides to a bee colony as much an
> environmental concern as broadcasting a pesticide in a field crop ?  I
> think the answer to this question is no, not as much.  If the environment
> is not such an issue (unless the manufactor of the pesticides is
> environmentally harmful), and the direct health risks to the consumer are
> not issue, then is organic certification in beekeeping unneccesary ?

Good point, as long as you are sure that there is no risk to the
consumer.  But applying even approved chemicals during honey flows could
change that - I don't want to consume fluvalinate in my honey.

Remember, any chemical put in a hive has a chance (even though it may be
small) of ending up in wax or honey.

> 6) Will an organic beekeeping sector be useful in developing alternative
> pest and disease control strategies and tactics for the rest of the
> industry ?  I've seen how the organic sector in other agricultural communities
> has had a big impact as innovating new non-synthetic chemical solutions
> to crop management (they generally have their hands tied with what they can
> and cannot use, and I think have to necessarily be inventive to stay alive).

This may be a valid point.  Some "experts" suggest we should just let our
colonies die from mites, re-queen from the survivors.  Most beekeepers,
especially those making a living from bees don't have the income to keep
going until the "resistant" stocks appear.  Cultural approaches to
control disease add to costs and may or may not work.  Any chemical,
other than honey or wax, seems to me to be a foreign substance in a hive
and as such contrary to the idea of "organic".

I am concerned that "organic" honey will lead to mite infestations, foul
brood, and other nasty outcomes.  If the "organic" beekeeper wants to
take the risk, that is ok -----  provided he or she does not jeopardize
nearby beekeepers (which in many places would occur).

> I'm hoping to generate some discussion on this topic, as I am not sure
> which side of the fence i'm on on this issue.

I tend to agree with Adony.  I am skeptical whether or not anyone could
ever certify honey as "truly" organic.  You just can't control where they
go, and with widespread pesticide applications, and global contamination,
they will come into contact with it.

If you use the term to mean "reduce or little contact", maybe.

Cheers

Jerry Bromenshenk
http://grizzly.umt.edu/biology/bees