From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 19:15:37 EDT
Again to you all:

1. In canada only 65% formic acid is approved for use in bee colonies.
As a result, using this device will require an approval of using 85%
either for research purposes or treatment by beekeepers.
2. Mr. Popodi wrote in ABJ (March, 1996, p.162) that The Varroa
Treatment Device dispenses formic acid vapor at a controlled rate
which beekeepers can vary to compensate for temperature. Then, he
continued to say If warm weather evaporation of formic acid gets too
fast, the bees' ERATIC behaviour at the hive entrance alerts the
beekeepers to slow down the rate. When temperature falls, the rate
can be increased until the catch pan is again covered with varroa
carcasses.
My questions are:
1. Why do bees show ERATIC behaviour if this application is safe.
2. Do we have to baby sit the colonies during the period
of application and run around to adjust the rate of evaporation?
3. What is the number of killed queens as a result of this eratic
behaviour?
4. What are the side effects on eggs and young larvae?
5. where can we get legally 85% formic acid to use in this device?

I agree with Allen's comments " we'd feel a lot more comfortable about
this device if the marketing were held off until there was some
credible proof that it works. I add also until we have answers to the
above questions we should not rush.

 Regards,

 Medhat Nasr Ph.D.
 Ontario Beekeepers' Association