From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:34:52 -0500
If anyone either works in a biology lab or remembers the classic high
school experiment where a nutrient rich media is exposed to the air
for a brief time and incubated you will realize--we are not alone!

Fungi are everywhere!  This is hugely diverse group including
toadstools, yeasts & mold--and now DNA techniques are providing
insight such that nosema  formerly a spore forming protozoan should
more likely be classified as a fungus as well.  Not a big surprise to
some.

I work in a group that studies fungal pathogens of insects
(entomopathogens) .  Down the hall is the ARSEF culture collection
with 8000 entomopathogens in liquid nitrogen.  This is the largest
collection of insect pathogenic fungi in the world.  The collection
consists of fungi thought to kill insects.   At least most are
thought to kill insects.  Some fungi do kill, some are weakly
infectious and others may only grow on recently dead (or dying)
insects.  Much of the fine details on many, many collected species
are really unknown & untested.

Two insect pathogens, Beauveria bassiana (Bb) and Metarhizium
anisoplia (Ma), are very common soil inhabitants and can be found
almost everywhere.  There are commercial products made from these
fungi so that they can be sprayed much like any insecticide.  The
formulation of fungi as insecticides  are commonly called
mycoinsecticides.  Note that there are many other species in the
genus of Beauveria and Metarhizium.  It is mind boggling the numbers
& niches that fungi inhabit.

Other fungi in these genus are also found in soil, under bark, in
detritus, and really anywhere there is nitrogen & starch (or sugar),
as well as other hyphomycete fungi; think bread mold & mildew.  These
are common contaminants as you are probably aware.  There is
competition among fungi for nutrients and many fungi have evolved the
secretion of secondary metabolites that inhibit other species so that
the first colony on a newly found nutrient source gets first dibs,
that is part of the colors & clonal patching that you often see in
moldy areas.

Fungus is everywhere; the smell of those old ABJ magazines stored in
the cellar (where it is a little moist) is due to the growth of mold.
Probably this is not the spot to ask if anyone would sell me their
ABJ issues from July 04-Feb 05--But I'll ask anyhow as I'm trying to
complete all of George Ayers articles on honey plants & missed those
issues.

Anyhow with the above background you can see that if you stick a
highly nutritive media in a colony of bees, add cool damp conditions
and you will see mold.  There is mold spores on the bottom board on
old comb etc which can get started particularly when colonies are
weak, wet or cannot cover everything.

It always amazes me to see how little does grow given the amount of
spores in the environment.  I think the only reason that more does
not grow on pollen patties is that the bees consume it first.  I know
I find lots of fungus in an insects alimentary tract. I bet cultures
grown from pollen patties of various age would have an enormous
number of species if care was given to separate out the competing
strains.

I recently read an abstract somewhere on the honeybee genome project
that looked at the genes usually responsible for insect immune system
development/action.  The number was found to be greatly reduced.
They hypothesized that perhaps this was why honeybees were reliant on
propolis as an extension to a minimalist immune system.  It will be
interesting to see what else comes from the genome project.

So to conclude this ramble--there are a huge number of fungi, the
soil is a reservoir, some can actively infect insects, others infect
only weakened or diseased insects, and some utilize the nutrients in
dead insects.  Many of these fungi are present everywhere awaiting
the opportunity to exploit a nutrient source when conditions of
appropriate moisture  and temperature are reached.

It is amazing how little fungus that we see in our hives considering!

Mike Griggs