From:
Kevin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:23:02 -0500
> I mean no disrespect, but I'm calling shenanigans.

No disrespect taken Justin, but you are clearly erroneously reading into my report and drawing false conclusions.

In no wise did I claim my colonies having brood nests reaching sizes of 4 - 5 deeps.  The discussion regarding mite-surving colonies included the observation that smaller colony size was one of the attributes associated with some the handful of populations reviewed in the paper.  Some of the comments proceeding the original post were addressing the disadvantage smaller colony size might have on production.  My report was intended to show an example of mite-surving colonies that are able to reach a respectable size and be productive.

The amount of harvestable honey is very location dependent and has to do with forage availability going through the active season.  What we experience here is a very pronounced spring and early summer flow during which most of the harvestable honey is put up.  This main flow is followed by a couple of months of summer dearth during which no surplus honey is put up.  During seasons like this one in which my area is experiencing extreme drought conditions some of the spring honey may be consumed through the summer by the colonies for lack of nectar availability through the dearth.

We usually get a shorter ‘fall flow’ during which more honey gets stored and depending on the season additional honey may be harvested.  I’m not looking to get any more harvest this year because of the drought.  I believe I have left enough honey behind in most of the hives although some redistributing from the have’s to the have not’s may be required prior to winter.

As I mentioned, for my area the honey yields have been remarkably good.  A preliminary look at my detailed journals are showing that among the 15 production hives, the range of honey yield is 74 - 185 lbs. with the average coming in at 100 lbs.  The most common reason for the lesser production in some of the hives surrounds being queenright and having strong workforce in place at the onset of the main flow.  Another factor is that all of the production hives were tasked this year with building out new comb on at least one new super of foundation and in some cases two new supers of foundation.

As far as how big do the broodnests get I would say a conservative estimate would be 9 - 10 frames of brood at peak which is just prior to the main flow period which also coincides with the peak swarming period.  After that peak the broodnests get reduced in size and the colonies actually take a break in brooding during the summer dearth.

No shenanigans here Justin, just field truth.