From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:38:46 -0400
> "There are more things in beekeeping, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

This is the second time this year someone has invoked Horatio in response to something I said. And I will say again, this phrase is oft misunderstood.

Horatio is doubting the existence of ghosts, and Hamlet is responding. Philosophy as used here, refers to what we now call science, and the thing that Hamlet is referring to is a hallucination.

I agree that science and commerce are not all there is to life. And while I don't doubt the existence of hallucinations, I don't brake for them. To paraphrase Woody Allen, reality may be overrated but it's "still the only place to get a good steak."

PLB