From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:38:51 -0500
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:

those  are both good points, although neither of those parasites are
>>  >generally considered to be serious contributors to current bee
mortality
>> >problems.  That is why I didn't include  them.

Maybe my memory is failing, but did Jerry not reach a different  conclusion?

Absolutely, and at the two recent national bee meetings, we saw both
beekeepers and researchers at odds over the issue of whether Nosema was or was
not a problem and to a lesser similar debate about the extent of  problems
due to viruses.  About the only agreement - varroa is still a  problem.

I should note that the CCD Working Group, of which I'm no longer  a member,
has now decided that CCD can be characterized by a lack of Nosema  and by a
very specific ratio of workers to brood.

Only problem, what's the justification for exempting Nosema?, that's
clearly not what we found and verified by proteomics, by PCR, and by  microscopy.
 And the worker/brood ratios sound very familiar to the  seasonal changes
reported in the work of Cameron Jay - I'm well familiar with  his work, since
these ratios had a huge impact on the model  predictions of population
growth that we developed years ago working with Gloria  at Tucson.

Assigning an arbitrary number to ratio of workers  to brood to define  CCD
doesn't seem to me more than window dressing.  Dismissing nosema  seems just
as arbitrary.  Show me some data to support either of these  changes to the
definition.

All of this  presents an interesting question - how can you  refine a
definition for a syndrome that still has no definitive  cause?  I guess this
approach provides justification for bee  inspectors, beekeepers, and researcher
to exempt all Nosema cases from CCD  - --- so  I guess we'd then have to
conclude that Bee Collapses with  Nosema must be Nosemosis, not CCD?

Disappearing Disease (DD), as I believe CCD was called in past decades, was
 initially defined according to my OLD copies of the Hive and the Honey Bee
 as the Bee Disease that disappeared before it could be resolved.

The same process that we are seeing now has occurred before -  first define
the disorder based on signs, then find a variety of  possible causes;
reject most, accept some, fail to solve the problem, blame it  on cumulative
stressors re-define what DD is, then when bees do  better for period of years,
forget about the whole issue, then start the whole  process over when it
occurs again.

Jerry

Easiest way to dismiss CCD and publications, define it/them out of
existence.

Jerry