From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:37:54 -0500
Ruth Rosin claims I said " there is no doubt that honeybees have a
DL"  This is not true--I asked if someone would explain what the
observed behavior was about.

Look, any biologist who studies animal behavior finds that when
something happens like the DL of the returning forgers to the hive
there must be an explanation.  Bees or any animal will not expend
energy for something unless it has a "benefit".  Animals tend to
conserve energy.  So I asked if someone would explain what they think
this behavior is about.  Why a Dance when walking through the hive
would be enough to provide other foragers with the scent?  Why would
a student do jumping jacks to ask a question when you simply need to
raise a hand?

I would hazard that a combination of the two components odor
detection & the behavior are somehow coupled to maximize foraging by
those bees receptive.  I don't believe we can continue to discount
the behavior as not important " and that as their fine discrimination
of odors is also not important.

So as I asked What is the meaning of the dance--is it a language do
insects (bees) have the ability to communicate (piping) or are they
only able to perform rudimentary "instinctual" tasks irrelevant of
any communication language?

Mike