From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 09:53:18 -0400
Coleene E. Davidson wrote:

> Can anyone tell me when Basswood
> bloom begins in this area.

This is not a question that can be answered.  Although Coleene
DID give her location, she did not tell us which species of
Basswood is on her neighbor's lot.  George Ayers has written
many articles in ABJ on the subject, the themes of which point
out what a wonderful species is Tillia (Basswood) as it's
periods of bloom (when different species are interplanted) can
be extended virtually from June through September!

So the best advice I can give is watch your trees, identify them
if possible, be ready with supers when the buds first appear, and
write back and tell us when basswood blooms in your area!

A funny (to me) irony in my village of persecuted beekeepers is
that about 30 years ago I organized a group of friends to hold
annual observances of Arbor Day.  We have planted over 500 trees,
many of which were (by design) Little Leaf Linden (European Basswood)
(Tillia cordata), one of the heaviest nectar producing basswoods.
When they bloom in mid-June in upstate New York, these young mature
trees literally hum with bees!  I wonder if the ZBA will want me to
chop them down?

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!