From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:06:44 -0700

> >1& 2 can involve contracts but most only handshakes but I have heard of up
> to $2000 (U.S.) for a few of these.

Our situation is similar to Bob's.  Holding and/or wintering yards involve
the need for flat ground--flat ground is at a premium in the Sierra
Foothills.  I'm happy to pay for a flat holding yard with good access.

I also move out within 24 hrs.  Generally, the only problem has been bees in
cattle troughs during drought.

I also do not necessarily use all yards every year, depending upon bloom and
other factors.

About half of my yards for honey production are from people that approached
me to offer.

If they have a small orchard to pollinate, then I generally consider the
yard to be fair trade--to keep bees there after the bloom.  I make sure that
they get bees immediately after almond pollination.  I generally give them a
couple of jars of honey for good measure.

If there is no fair trade, then most of us just give a flat rate yard
rent--a case of 12 quarts or equivalent.  For a very special yard, may give
beeswax candles at Christmas, or comb honey if that is the owner's
preference.

I have never given percentage of the crop, as no telling whether I will make
a crop there.  In some yards, I move in nucs simply to build up for
almonds--no crop is harvested.  Some years when I sold a large number of
nucs I have had to purchase yard rent honey from other beekeepers!

Promising a portion of the harvest is way too complicated in my opinion.
 Most folk couldn't begin to eat a portion of the harvest in a good year!

Lately I've been giving out a variety pack of honey.  My own local honey
sells for a premium, so I only give them half the rent in local, and then
purchase other varieties at wholesale from friends who went to citrus,
clover, etc, and bottle that up for variety.

Spring appears to have finally arrived in northern California.  The queen
producers had good mating weather this week, and are now hoping that all
their hives don't swarm before they can shake packages!

Randy Oliver