Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2016 15:49:54 -0400
A couple of years ago, in April, I went on a 'Battlefield Tour' of Normandy, including the landing beaches and nearby towns that my Father visited in uniform in 1944.  At the end of our stay we boarded the coach for the long drive back eastwards to Calais, the Channel Tunnel and up through the east of England as far as Cambridge.

The part of Normandy we had visited was full of small fields with hedges around, cider orchards, meadows with wild flowers to  help produce  tasty cheeses from the Normandy cows: all small scale, old fashioned agriculture.  When we left the area and got onto the motorway, the driver stopped at the first opportunity and washed and brushed the windscreen which was almost opaque with splatted insects.  The next section of the journey, a similar distance, was through an area of industrial agriculture with vast arable  fields and very few hedges etc. There were far fewer insects but the driver gave a clean anyway.  Then we went through the tunnel and up to  Cambridge, a similar distance again. There were almost no insects on the windscreen and no need for the driver to do any cleaning.

Chris