Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2013 13:02:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
"Before starting here I politely contacted NOD with my observations and concerns. I have received no reply."

I want to acknowledge and thank Mr. VanderDussen of NOD for responding to my inquiry. Since his reply contains no personal or confidential information I hope that I am violating no trust by posting it here.

"I was quite concerned about the mite levels pre-treatment.  As well as the phoretic mites, there are all the foundress mites under the brood caps,  typically 70 to 80% of the varroa population.  Even at 70%, the total mature female varroa load would be over 16,000 mites in some of the hives.   A 95% control would still leave >800 fertile mites,  80% control would leave over 3,000.   Of course fertile female mites can double the population about every 3 weeks, so a followup treatment would be required to have them below threshold and have a healthy population of young bees going into winter.   Quite achievable with prompt action.  Again I apologize for the slow response to your initial email."

I welcome comments and opinions about his analysis and recommendation. For me, this year the point is moot since I have already applied Apivar in all but one yard. The thought of another blast just as the colony brood is recovering is uncomfortable to me and frankly I am not willing to risk another failure at this late date. In fairness I will test at 21 and 42 days and post my Apivar results in the same colonies as the previous trial.

Randy, you have more "Cojones" than I. I admire your tenacity and hope you will keep us posted.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA		

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2