From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:53:11 -0500
> Spain has a higher number of hives than the U,S. and have studied nosema cerana years longer,

Not really true. After it was found in Taiwan, pretty quickly it was found everywhere and people have been on it ever since. In fact, by October of 2006 it had been documented to be in Brazil, USA, Vietnam, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, UK and New Zealand.

> Huang et al. discovered N. ceranae in A. mellifera in Taiwan in 2004, where this host bee is nonnative but within the range of A. cerana. Thereafter, Higes et al. (2006) detected N. ceranae in Spain in 2005 and Chauzat et al. found it to be widespread in France in A. mellifera collected between 2003 and 2005.

> our own molecular genetic analyses (RFLPs or sequences) of older (pre- 2003) isolates of Nosema from A. mellifera  and published sequences of older (pre-2003) isolates  reveal only N. apis in A. mellifera. We cannot state the exact time of the host jump or N. ceranaeā€™s transmission route from A. cerana to A. mellifera because of limited pre-2003 samples, though we suggest it occurred within the last decade. -- Julia Klee, et al

In early 2007, samples were being examined in the US from a variety of sources