From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:39:06 -0400
Randy, RE your earlier posts about having to raise the bar on mite
treatments this late summer:

  I did a 10% sample of my hives via alcohol wash around August 1 and got
varied numbers but few above 8 mites per 300 bees and many 3s and 4s.  I
did a formic flash treatment on every hive in every yard because I am set
up for it and mite levels were climbing towards threshold, and I had not
treated since using oxalic last December.   I went out yesterday to do some
more alcohol washes after having been in the Republic of Georgia for 2
weeks showing their beekeepers how to sample for mites - what's good for
the goose is good for the gander, eh?-.  The first hive I sampled had 14
mites per 300 bees so I decided to go down the rows and check every hive.
I did 3 yards in the afternoon and found wide variability but quite a few
hives that had checked out at 3-4 mites in early August now up to 10-11
mites 6 weeks after my formic treatment.  Needless to say I am treating
again.  If I get a chance I will write down some numbers from a yard or two
and post them.

I was in the Republic Georgia the last 2 weeks working on a beekeeping
project in rural areas and in refugee camps (from the 2008 war with
Russia).  The beekeepers in the Republic of Georgia seldom have over 100
hives and beekeeping is the primary means of employment for many.  Most
have never sampled for mites and many were using Mavrik from Turkey
(fluvalenate) and it has totally failed.  Many are now using flumethrin and
amitraz based products.  On my last day we did a mite wash demo at the home
of the local beekeeping association president's house.  The president is a
busy man who runs an ISP business and is adding clients and setting up
wireless systems so, like me, he neglects his bees sometimes...  He was
still using Mavrik.  Our first sample washed 17 mites from 300 bees.  I
strain the alcohol and mites through a coffee filter so we can lay the
filter out on a table and everyone can see and count the mites.  Talk about
a 'teachable moment'!

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC