Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:50:02 -0700
----------
> From: Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Nosema
> Date: Monday, March 03, 1997 9:32 AM
>
> The recommended time to treat with Fumidil-B for Nosema is in the fall,
> two gallons or 2:1 syrup (sugar:water) with 1 tsp Fumidil-B per gallon.

> Spring feeding for overwintered is less often recommended, but some
> recommended a spring treatment of a gallon of 1:1 syrup with a tsp of
> Fumidil-B.
>
> The same spring treatment is recommended for packaged bees.

Please excuse this beginner's questions, but are you saying a newly
received package going into new equipment on undrawn foundation should be
treated upon receipt of the package, or are you advocating treatment in the
coming spring (next season)?
What treatments are recommended in the above situation (e.g. for new
packages, no drawn comb,etc.,  and what do we do about the Apistan strips
included with the new package?  Do we remove at installation time or should
the strips be installed in the brood chamber as the comb is drawn?  I
understand the need for removal of Apistan (and for not feeding drugs
)during a honey flow, but am a little confused by all the comments on
timing of the various treatments.
 What steps would you take if you were installing your first packages to
get off to a good disease free start?   Thank you in advance for your help.