From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 06:55:49 -0700
I have used extender patties in the distant past and dropped OTC (tetra) as a
treatment for AFB some years ago only to return to it for European FB.

Dang....talk about going full circle over 30+ years. We now dust once with tetra
and once with tylan in the spring. Sometimes in the fall.

Nowdays, our focus is on varroa control with a constant treatment before and
after honey crops with rotations. Oddly enough, AFB is a non-problem and is
appropriately on the back of the radar. I suppose it's the same for many of us.

I'll weigh in with extender patties being being a culprit in resistance of AFB
spores to OTC. I know guys that just left them on all the time. For months at a
time.

Allen, you are arguing that it was not necessarily a cause, and rather well I
must say. I admire you as a devil's advocate, but I'll have to disagree this
time.

I hated having the slimy things in the hive.

 Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........
Beekeeping Journal Blog   thoughts on beekeeping
Facebookfor Kirk
Facebook for the Benzie Playboys