From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:38:25 -0500
Knowing something about the Craft Guild System which includes the designation of Master Craftsman, it has always struck me funny that someone could become a Master Beekeeper without first having been an Apprentice Beekeeper and then a Journeyman Beekeeper.

I am not sure about how Blacksmiths talk these days, though I do know a handful of Blacksmith. And some who work or worked at Colonial Williamsburg, Wmsbg, VA, who were uncomfortable with the title, even when it was their position at the museum. And these craftsmen were of long schooling and great skill. I know Blacksmiths that own their own shop, part of the definition of a Master in the olden days, who don't call themselves Master Blacksmiths, though by their skill they could without dispute.

Were I designing a course of instruction whose end result would be Master Beekeeper I would want to see Apprentice Beekeeper education, training, and years of service to a Master. A Journeyman would be servant to a Master and may, if the Master feels they know their stuff well enough, take an Apprentice as a student. After a certain number of years as a Journeyman under a Master's employment or Mentorship, ownership of an Apiary, showing proficiency and the ability to manage their hives well, along with testing by a panel of Master Beekeepers, then a Master's Certificate would be awarded.

When someone says they are a Master Beekeeper, not that that happens very often, I say, "Uh huh." and keep on going with what I was doing. Or I tell them I have a college degree in Commercial Beekeeping. I don't know if that makes us even or less so or if it means anything. If someone says "So and so says this, and they are a Master Beekeeper.", what is there to say? "Okay."?