Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:11:04 -0600
Hi all!

Here's something a few of you will find interesting:

Today I went to pull out a feral hive which made a new home in the side
of a condominium building.  On the way the manager called and said "Come
quick! A swarm just arrived close to the other hive".  Both the swarm
and the feral 'hive' were found on the same side of the building, same
corner, same height, same paint color, same air-duct, etc., - but they
were different buildings, one next to the other.

More unusual, when the feral 'hive' was cracked open all that could be
found was a dead hive and old comb from years ago.  The only bees coming
and going were obviously scouts (20-30 of them) doing dances and making
appearances at the entrance.  No live bees were clustered inside.
Either a swarm was on it's way to that old hive or the one I took found
it's way to the wrong building by bad bee-directions.  Coincidence?

Matthew Westall

        //        Earthling Bees, Inc.
 >8(())))-    "Take me to your feeder"
        \\        Castle Rock, CO -  USA