From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:41:49 -0500
Hello Kirk & All,

Kirk said:
>I usually start with phase one: remove the cover slowly without smoke.
>Phase two: wave my hand without smoke over the top of the hive. Phase
>three: rap the side of the hive with my knuckles. Phase four: bump the side
>with my knee (kicking). All this without smoke. I do expect some feedback
>from the hive, but not too much.

I believe Kirk makes a good point. testing without smoke is an excellent
test. Despite what many hobby might think most commercial beekeepers use
smoke when doing  serious work.  we usually use more than one when working
bees.

I looked back at my notes from years ago and discovered the person which
introduced the "kick test" to the list. It seems I reported on Bee-L after
attending a Texas State Beekeepers meeting (when AHB first arrived) Texas
beekeepers were using a "kick test" before starting work. (in archives)

>I have bought VHS queens to add to my breeder line, but the dang things die
>off so easily, and most don't brood up for crap. Maybe one of of five is
>good to my eyes. I quit buying them the last couple of years.

Maybe the HVS line or the SVH line they are working on will perform better
(kidding)

bob